Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I'm Baaaaack...

Well, I'd originally sat down to write but I got caught up in Pinterest and, well, 45 min later.. here I am.  Gah, it's such a fabulous time-waster.  So. Many. Pretty. Things.  I was pinning all things steampunk (which finally gives a name to a secret fetish I've had for all things of said decor, jewelry, art, artifacts, etc).  Victorian meets future, meets sci-fi, meets industrial, meets western; how awesome is that?  No, my question to you should be, how can you NOT like it?

Gah!  I just got sidetracked again!  Another 15 minutes lost.  Good heavens.  My coffee's gone, I haven't even had breakfast yet, my back and butt are sore from sitting here... and I haven't even started to write what I wanted to write to you about, yet!!  *takes you by the shoulders and shakes you* THE STEAMPUNK OBSESSION MUST STOP!!  Okay, maybe not stop, but put on a brief pause.

... *pauses* ...  *makes pancakes in honour of Pancake Tuesday*...

.. *comes back to answer email, gets sidetracked AGAIN*... *forces self back to kitchen*...

I had some pancakes.  I got up to get something and this happened...


He totally took over my chair!  Silly Babu.

So.. today is Shrove/Pancake Tuesday; the Tuesday proceeding Ash Wednesday, the mark on the calendar when Christians begin to acknowledge Jesus' death (who rises on Easter as Christ) and the beginning of Lent.  I'd been thinking and thinking of what I want to give up for Lent this year and having a difficult time of it.  I'm giving up my usual 'no swearing' crusade (a feat often attempted but never successful), but I always give up something else in addition to that.  But.. this morning I felt different, thanks to a conversation from a friend last night (thanks MK).  Something occurred to me.  You know what?  No.  Hell no.  I've suffered enough the past year, thankyouverymuch, and I'm not going to do anymore than I need to for the next little while.  So you know what?  I'm going to take the alternative; I'm going to add something.  Thing is, I'm not quite sure what yet.  Prayer (meal time? bedtime? morning?)?  Volunteering of time?  No, I'm not ready to expend that energy yet.  Maybe there are other sorts of forms of charity; RM, you're good with this, what do you suggest?  I'll take suggestions from anyone.  Maybe something food-related.  If it keeps me in the kitchen, I'm happy; it's good therapy for me.  Maybe baking for friends, based on their food preferences/wishes/health issues.  Hmm.. that's not a bad idea.  I just baked up my third batch of GF brownies and people are amazed; I've proven (well, thanks to the author) that GF doesn't have to be boring  and I LOVE this.  Okay - so if you would like baked-goods (or non-baked goods.. could be meals), sign up below.  I will deliver! (if you're local, post mail if you're not.)  Okay, so I've picked up an act of charity for Lent.  There you go.

I've been learning more Italian on the side.  It's going very well.  I'm learning basic words pertaining to what I can use at work/in a restaurant (plate, dish, glass, cutlery, etc, etc) and shocker - I'm retaining them!  Mostly.

I'm reading Carl Jung's essay (in small book form) on Synchronicity.  It's fantastic.  I hope to give excerpts on it later.

I'm feeling a bit better today.  A bit lighter.  A little bit... released.  That's what happens when you finally shed 160lbs.  /cryptic

*looks out the window*  Dude, where'd this snow come from?  This is a funny winter.

Alright, I gotta have some attempt at lunch and get to an appointment.  Hope y'all are having a good day.




4 comments:

hydra said...

What a lot of energy this post has. Fantastic! My daughter Rhiannon is crazy about steampunk. You two should chat. You could friend her on FB! I am giving up chocolate for Lent. I was going to give up grumbling, but I think, in this freezing cold house, that is too much to ask!

Perovskia said...

Ooh.. is Rhiannon on Pinterest? We could start talking! Steampunk is not very popular among my friends, I'm the only one.
You're strong for giving up chocolate (I have a friend also doing the same).

hydra said...

I don't know if she's on Pinterest but she's on FB so you could meet her there. Re chocolate: oh woe, I have lapsed. I ate a square of plain choc that was hanging around in the cupboard - just in the cause of keeping things clean and tidy, of course!

Perovskia said...

lol.. of course :P
Did you know we're allowed a break from our Lent on Sundays? :) That might help ;)

Copyright Text