Saturday, July 30, 2011

Today's Excerpt

I have been meaning to write for a while, but life has been so busy so bear with me.  Instead of writing about the things I've wanted to write about, I'm going to share a fraction of my day with you instead.

I was doing a walk-about mid-shift; killing time, checking to see who's around, also planned to stop to talk to someone.  When talking with this person, there was some yelling in the background, in the same unit.  This patient was quite vocal and I'd say bordering on violent.

The yelling continued (it was a little difficult to converse with my person, it was getting quite loud).  Said person informed me this patient had brain damage; they were in a vehicle accident.  My person informed me of their previous occupation (healthcare, to be vague) and how it was sad to see two different, very extremes of a person.  We also discussed how it's frustrating when people walk by giving dirty looks, not for a minute thinking about the person, the human and the story behind the patient (and I'm not sure to whom they were referring to; staff, visitors, other patients, etc).

So that was my re-lesson and my wake-up call today.  Life is precious.  You never know what's around the next corner.  It was humbling for me to remember in a job that I feel I'm in a stalemate with, the stories behind the faces I serve every day.

It reminded me why I'm here.

No comments:

Copyright Text