Friday, May 20, 2011

Those Damned Vampires....

It's a great morning to wake up to; it's cool, but not cold (windows are open), it's quiet, slightly overcast (why is that good you ask? Because it's not the rain we've been getting for almost 2 weeks straight).  I dare say the sun is trying to show.  But don't worry, I hear the rain is coming later today :/

I'm looking at my plants in the window and I need new pots.  Some need bigger pots, some need to be separated and need new pots all together.  And I need dirt.  Even to re-pot some of my current ones.

Moving forward.. some info not for the sqeamish......

So.. for the first time yesterday I went to donate blood at the Canadian Blood Services site in town.  It's kind of a funny word, isn't it?  Blooooooooooooood.  Anyways, they were super nice there the minute I walked in the door.  They test your blood when you walk in, to make sure your hemoglobin is high enough (138, thank you. Has to be 125 to pass).  Then you fill out this questionnaire (so random questions, I can't even tell you).  Then you go behind doors with a nurse and they ask you more personal questions (sexually-related) and take your blood pressure, etc.  Then you go out on the nice, comfy chairs and they start to siphon you.  Well, I told the girl she'd have a problem finding a vein (dude, I'm tapped out from all the health stuff I got tested for before) but thank God she's very good at what she does and she found one no problem.  Then she brings out the needle.  I'm like, "What the hell are you going to do with that?!" lol.  It was a 16 gauge needle.  Crazy.  That's what we used on CZ's farm to inject cows.  COWS.  Just sayin'.  (If you're curious, such a large needle is used because they're trying to gather whole blood.  If the needle is too small, it'll break apart the cells and well, it's not exactly what they're looking for.)

So apparently I've got "good blood flow" and it was over before I knew it.  I thought you sat there for a half an hour, but I think I was done in like.. 10-15 min at most?  Had some juice and cookies (quite the selection, I was impressed) and apparently I looked "flush" so they made me lay down with my feet up.  Boy, they were on me like white on rice.  Laid down, feet up, cold cloths on my forehead, neck and arms.  THEN I got dizzy and nauseous.  I didn't like that at all.  That passed in a few minutes and I felt fine.  Sat up and got dizzy again.  Ugh.  Anyways, after a few minutes I was fine and left with my friend to have lunch (that's all I needed was food).  Overall, a very good and positive experience.  Lenten penance completed (albeit a little late. Oops).

So please go out and donate if you can!! They need you!  :)

No comments:

Copyright Text