Tuesday, August 25, 2009

He's Just Not That Into You

"They Jedi mind trick you" ... best. line. evar.

I subjected myself to this movie the other night. I wasn't sure I'd like it. It made me laugh within the first 5 minutes, so I kept watching :)

It started with a *fantastic* opening, actually (it was profound to me, at least). The opening shot is a little girl (we'll say about 5) playing in the sand in a playground. A boy of similar age comes up, pushes her down on the ground and shouts that she stinks, or some derivative. She goes crying over to her mother and the mother says, "Do you know why that boy did that to you?". The little girl shakes her head, to which the mother responds, "Because he *likes* you". "And this," the narrator says, "is the first thing we're taught about boys".

It couldn't be further from the truth. Basically (as I read it), we're taught boys who like us are 'abusive' (take that however you like) and we're automatically supposed to accept said behaviour.

I'm re-writing that. I will no longer take abuse. If someone is interested in me, he has to show me love, not hate. Sensitivity, not brashness. Love, not anger. Commitment, not distance.

:)

1 comment:

CaitieCat said...

Hear, hear! Well said. Abuse!=love.

Copyright Text