Friday, August 28, 2009

Procedures, Pt. II

Well, my friends, I survived.

Yesterday was hell, I'm not gonna lie. I felt like my ass was on fire. Today, I'm just happy I don't have to run to the washroom every 5 minutes :) So, yesterday was the absolute worst of it. If you can get past that, you can do anything.

I arrived at the hospital this morning at 07:30 (it's the same hospital I work in). They stuck an IV in me. I've never had an IV before, so that was interesting. She couldn't find any she wrapped warm towels around each hand (apparently it brings them to the surface?) Poked one hand, vein collapsed, so she poked the other hand... success. Then I was injected with saline (anyone know why this is?) and waited. My anxiety was good, actually, I wasn't too worried.

Someone came to get me at 09:30 and wheeled me into the next hall where I got a bunch of "Hello!"'s from passing nurses. They're a super nice bunch there. Rolled me into the room, hooked me up to a bunch of stuff for reading my vitals and had me roll on my side. The doc was gonna spray freezing down my throat (which was disgusting, btw) and I started to panic and said this is where my anxiety was going to start, because my last endo went really bad (it was horrific). So they said they'd just give me extra sedation.

I lurves sedation.

I don't even remember them sticking the tube down my throat...and that's the first thing they did. I remember feeling the tubes inside me, which was weird, and sort of painful. And I remember watching the monitor of what he was doing. I kept wanting to ask, "What's that", but I was too weak.

Next thing I know I'm waking in Recovery and the nurse is telling me I'll be able to go home in 15 minutes. Wow. That was fast. Then they wheeled me out to the car (I was very woozy), came home, my friend helped me up the stairs..very..slowly..and we hung out until she had to go to work then I had a nap. I had severe stomach pains after, but that's normal. Pains are gone now.

I feel good. Craving solid food like you wouldn't believe (still supposed to have clear fluids today). I've gone from carb cravings (early yesterday) to protein cravings (mmm..fried eggs), so I guess that's good, right? If ever there was a time to start a new way of eating, it'd be now. So I'm going to try to eat healthier, as my budget allows.

Random, but I think my body, during the cleanse, was kicking out all the toxins. My face has started to break out a bit the past couple days. Makes sense, right?

Anyhoo, I've babbled your ears off. Thanks for listening and your well wishes, etc. :)


Bix said...

Thank you for the update. I wondered how it went. Did they give you any feedback afterwards or do you have to wait for a follow-up appointment?

Another curiosity, does your insurance cover this or will you have to pay some for it?

I had these done. I can relate to the severe stomach pains afterwards. High up in my chest.

Perovskia said...

Unfortunately I have to wait for the follow-up. I called yesterday afternoon to make an appointment, but they weren't answering their phones, so it'll be first thing Monday morning. The recovery instructions sheet said to make a follow-up for 2-6 weeks (that's pretty broad, if you ask me). I hate waiting.

No insurance; I'm in Canada, baby :) Our healthcare covered those procedures with no quams.

Upper chest, eh? My throat is still a bit sore when I eat this morning.

Angela said...

From what I remember of all the IVs I've had the Saline is to test that it's in there right and to flush it out of any blood that might have seeped in. I always found that it makes a strange taste in your mouth when they do that, tastes a bit like stamp and envelope glue (though that could just be me).

Glad you're feeling better.

Perovskia said...

Heh.. I didn't taste any "stamp and envelope glue", but I did feel slightly more relaxed after.

Thanks :)

Anrosh said...

i read and re-read. i am listening

Copyright Text